Sunday 27 July 2008

The Bright Light In The Dark Knight

SPOILER ALERT!!! IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE DARK KNIGHT AND WANT TO ENJOY IT, SKIP THIS POST AND COME BACK WHEN YOU HAVE SEEN IT. DON'T CALL ME NAMES LATER, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. I CAN'T MAKE A DAMN SPOILER ALERT STAND OUT ANY MORE THAN THIS.


I said I wouldn't post about this, but there are things that must be mentioned here. I'm not going to talk about Heath Ledger's performance, simply because that would be tantamount to an insult. But I have to put in my two bits for Director Chris Nolan.

Even though he's dealt with the Joker in a way I don't entirely endorse (for the uninitiated, he's changed the Joker's story from original DC canon), I have to give it to him for the subtlety he's employed in bringing out the Joker's mad genius. I'll draw attention to two things in particular that stood out at me.

One: In the scene where the Joker is setting up the chase of the armoured truck with Harvey Dent in it, he leaves a burning fire engine in the middle of the road, forcing the convoy to take a different route.

Two: In the scene where the Joker goes to meet Harvey Dent in the hospital, he's in a nurse's outfit with a 'Dent' support sticker on the lapel.

Both very subtle, but absolutely brilliant insights into the mind of the Joker, his sense of humour.

Nolan, take a bow.


P.S. Imbd, widely considered the world's most reliable movie rating site, has called The Dark Knight the best movie ever.

5 member protest rally:

Che said...

And I thought I was the only who noticed the Dent sticker...

My review will tantamount to insult as I will definitely talk about heath ledger's performance and christian bale's lack of one. But all that in 350 words...gah!

jhayu said...

Bale just smoked too many cigarettes for the dual voice thing.

jhayu said...

No, but really, didn't you cringe when he said, "I'm not wearing hockey pants."???

Ani said...

I believe it's IMDB.
Master.

jhayu said...

Actually, Ani, it's imdb.

Post a Comment

Talk, my friend. Now that you've read this section, the urge to speak has increased. I know. It's all right. It happens...
Stop fighting it. Talk.